LAS VEGAS, May 23, 2016 – The International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) has announced the winners of the 2016 U.S. MAXI Awards, highlighting the retail real estate industry’s most innovative events, programs and technologies that added value to shopping centers across the country. ICSC honored the winners on Sunday during RECon, the global retail real estate convention.
The category descriptions and respective award recipients are as follows.
The 2016 Traditional Marketing winners executed outstanding strategies across a number of subcategories including advertising, business-to-business, cause-related marketing, event and sales promotions, and public relations. The following winners utilized myriad resources to re-energize their properties and support their respective communities:
- Gold: “The Savvy Shopper,” Fayette Mall, Lexington, Ky.
- Gold: “All Aboard: Dealmakers Dining Car,” JLL, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Gold: “Noon to Night,” Avalon, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Gold: “Branson Landing’s School Shoes for Kids,” Branson Landing, Branson, Mo.
- Gold: “Ciao Italia! Santa Monica,” Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, Calif.
- Gold: “STOMP: Starwood Retail Partners Takes a Stand Against Bullying,” Starwood Retail Partners Centers, Chicago, Ill.
- Gold: “Lab 1270- Union Market,” Union Market, Washington, D.C.
- Gold: “Meet CoolSprings Galleria,” CoolSprings Galleria, Franklin, Tenn.
- Gold: “Orange Wednesday is the New Black Friday,” Zona Rosa, Kansas City, Mo.
- Gold: “#AvalonNeedsCFA,” Avalon, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Gold: “2015 Holiday Festival,” Brookfield Place New York, New York, N.Y.
- Silver: “He Has Arrived,” North Michigan Shops, Chicago, Ill.
- Silver: “Artegon Anti-Mall Campaign,” Artegon Marketplace Orlando, Orlando, Fla.
- Silver: “Bring a Slice of Brooklyn to Cedar Hill,” Hillside Village, Cedar Hill, Texas
- Silver: “Merchant Request Center,” Irvine Company, Irvine, Calif.
- Silver: “Phillips Edison Innovation Lab Project: PECO as a Community Partner,” Phillips Edison and Company, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Silver: “A Conscious Place,” Trademark Property Company, Fort Worth, Texas
- Silver: “Go Orange! Hunger Action Month at Atlantic Station,” Atlantic Station, Atlanta, Ga.
- Silver: “Re-Imagining the Holidays: Foodie Festivus,” Downtown Silver Spring, Silver Spring, Md.
- Silver: “From Mall to Wedding Hall,” Eton Chagrin Boulevard, Woodmere, Ohio
- Silver: “KidzShop,” Heritage Mall, Albany Ore.
- Silver: “Santa Cares,” Hamilton Place, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Silver: “Ready, Set, Gold!,” La Palmera, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Silver: “Show your Blue,” The Village at Allen & The Village at Fairview, Fairview, Texas
- Silver: “Cool Kids Read,” Vintage Real Estate, LLC, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Silver: “Phillips Place Winter Wonderland,” Phillips Place, Charlotte, N.C.
- Silver: “The Village at Topanga Grand Opening Campaign–Nathan Turner American Style,” The Village at Westfield Topanga, Canoga Park, Calif.
- Silver: “Boscov’s Grand Opening at Westfield Meriden,” Westfield Meriden, Meriden, Conn.
- Silver: “Colony Square: The Sequel,” Colony Square, Atlanta, Ga.
- Silver: “HCC Presents: Seaport Studios at The Seaport District,” South Street Seaport, New York, N.Y.
- Silver: “‘No Comment’ Won’t Cut It: Changing the Negative Narrative of Monroeville Mall,” Monroeville mall, Monroeville, Pa.
- Silver: “Phillips Edison & Company Introduces PECO NOW (Networking Opportunity for Women),” Phillips Edison & Company, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Silver: “StLouisInStyle.com,” CBL St. Louis Malls, St. Louis, Mo.
- Silver: “Super Saturday Las Vegas,” Grand Canal Shoppes and Fashion Show, Las Vegas, Nev.
The NOI Enhancement category recognized notable properties that significantly enhanced net operating income at their centers. The following award recipients outpaced the competition across the categories of leasing, marketing/sponsorship and operations/overall:
- Gold: “Coach Outlet – Pop To Perm,” Legends Outlets Kansas City, Kansas City, Kan.
- Gold: “MVP Health Care Goes Retail,” Colonie Center, Albany, N.Y.
- Gold: “Whatever it Takes,” Hammock Landing, The Pavilion at Port Orange and Volusia Mall, Fla.
- Silver: “Shared Values Create Value at Avalon,” Avalon, Alpharetta, Ga.
- Silver: “KRIS Partnership,” La Palmera, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Silver: “Little Changes Make A Big Impact on NOI,” The Village at Fairview, Fairview, Texas
The Digital/Emerging Technology award winners executed successful integrated digital and social media campaigns. Utilizing digital strategies, the winners offered a range of immersive, interactive, and innovative experiences for consumers that achieved brand and marketing communication goals.
- Gold: “#LittleLostBear,” Eastview Mall, Victor, N.Y.
- Gold: “Code RED,” The Shops at Park Lane, Dallas, Texas
- Silver: “Unique Way to Garner Big data,” The Shops at Legacy, Plano, Texas
- Silver: “Oh, So Simple Rewards,” Southlake Mall, Plaza West Covina and the Shops at Willow Bend, Plano, Texas
- Silver: “Leveraging the Movie Theatre Experience,” Atlantic Station, Atlanta, Ga.
- Silver: “#HVWantsGrimaldis,” Hillside Village, Cedar Hill, Texas
- Silver: “#MerryMallidays,” CBL & Associates Properties, Inc., Chattanooga, Tenn.
Founded in 1957, ICSC is the global trade association of the shopping center industry. Its more than 70,000 members in over 100 countries include shopping center owners, developers, managers, investors, retailers, brokers, academics, and public officials. The shopping center industry is essential to economic development and opportunity. They are a significant job creator, driver of GDP, and critical revenue source for the communities they serve through the generation of sales taxes and the payment of property taxes. These taxes fund important municipal services like firefighters, police officers, school services, and infrastructure like roadways and parks. Shopping centers aren’t only fiscal engines however; they are integral to the social fabric of their communities by providing a central place to congregate with friends and family, discuss community matters, and participate in and encourage philanthropic endeavors. For more information about ICSC visit www.icsc.com and for the latest news from ICSC and the industry go to www.thecenterofshopping.com.
Media Relations Coordinator