Our Mission

Learn who we are and how we serve our community

Leadership

Meet our leaders, trustees and team

Foundation

Developing the next generation of talent

Coronavirus Resources

Find updates on COVID-19

Research

Check out wide-ranging resources that educate and inspire

Global Public Policy

Learn about the governmental initiatives we support

Events

Connect with other professionals at a local, regional or national event

Professional Development

Grow your skills online, in a class or at an event with expert guidance

Find Members

Access our Member Directory and connect with colleagues

Talent HQ

Search and post jobs, upload your resume or find qualified candidates

Become a Member

Learn about how to join ICSC and the benefits of membership

Renew Membership

Stay connected with ICSC and continue to receive membership benefits

SCT

Holiday spending to rise 4.5–5 percent: Deloitte

December 6, 2019

The typical American household will spend nearly $1,500 this holiday season, with roughly three-quarters of shoppers saying they are likely to lay out the same as or more than they did last Christmas, according to a report from Deloitte.

Shoppers will increase their spending by some 4.5 to 5 percent this season, says the 2019 Deloitte Holiday Retail Survey, compiled from 4,410 respondents to a nationwide survey. High spenders — those who plan to spend upwards of $2,100 — will account for about 60 percent of the total spending during the holidays. Consumers who earn $100,000 per year or more will account for about 65 percent of total spending, and people earning between $50,000 and $99,000 yearly will be responsible for about 25 percent. Those earning less than $50,000 will generate just 10 percent of total holiday spending.

Generation X is the most lucrative cohort and will account for 35 percent of total spending, followed by baby boomers (31 percent), Millennials (27 percent), seniors (4 percent) and Gen-Z (3 percent).

By Edmund Mander

Director, Editor-In-Chief/SCT

Save on getting the scoop

Our members get discounted publications, access to ICSC Exchange, and a free subscription to Shopping Centers Today.

Join ICSC today